In the face of an unplanned pregnancy, adoption is one option to consider. Although adoption planning seems like a daunting task, the process has really changed in the past few years. The major changes have all involved giving more control to mothers. Modern adoption is 100% voluntary where parents make an plan and choose the family they will place the baby in. Through adoption, adoptive parent(s) and expectant mothers join forces for the good of a child who will benefit from the love provided by both families.
- You can choose the family.
- You can choose the agency or organization you work with.
- You can choose how opened or closed the adoption is and dictate how much ongoing contact to have with your child.
- You can choose how things go throughout the pregnancy and at the hospital during delivery.
- You can choose the timing of your child's placement.
- In most cases, adoption is of no cost to the birthparent.